Bolla - Mayrides Vasilia
The new faqces of the English language, literature and culture as English becomes a global language
On October 13, 2000 a Symposium was organised under the title «New Englishes», by the Department of English Language and Literature, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, in co-operation with the British Council of Thessaloniki. A number of invited scholars from Greece and the United Kingdom presented their papers during the Symposium. As the subject of «New Englishes» was considered to be of great importance, we decided to include in the Proceedings of the Symposium a number of additional relevant papers, which were contributed by distinguished colleagues from Greece and abroad. The papers included in this volume cover a wide range of topics, which deal with various aspects of «New Englishes».
We would like to express our thanks to all the authors for their significant contributions to this volume. We would also like to thank the Greek Ministry of Finance for their generous financial support, which enabled us to cover the expenses for the publication of this volume. Last but not least, we would like to extend our warmest thanks to the British Council of Thessaloniki for their valuable assistance in the organisation of this Symposium.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- English in the Modern World: One Language or Μany?
- Teaching English in Greece: An Update
- Welcome to Mytilene’s Airport: Investigating New English in the Greek Public Transport Context
- The Enigmas of Idiomaticity and Their Relation to Developments in the English Language
Carol J. Everhard
- In What Relation Do You Live to the Language That You Speak?
- The New English of Japanese Products
- Features of the Computer-mediated Language and their Impact on English Lexis
- English Loan Words in Modern Greek
- Teaching English as an International Language: Towards an Understanding of the Key Issues Involved
Nicos C. Sifakis, Areti-Maria Sougari
- On the Theory and Practice of ESP in Changing Russia
Elena V. YakovlevaContributors